- Almost three quarters of Minnesotans support raising the minimum age to purchase a firearm.
- Gun injuries are the leading cause of death for people ages 18-20.*
- This age group commits homicide at three times the rate of people over 21.+
- More than 3,100 young people die by firearm suicide each year. This is a 53% increase over the past decade**.
- 6 of the 9 deadliest mass shootings in the United States since 2018 were committed by those under 21.***
- 22 states have set their minimum age for purchasing certain types of guns at 21.****
- Across states, this legislation makes the same case: adolescents whose brains are still maturing shouldn’t have access to deadly weapons.
*Minimum Age to Purchase. (2022, September 26). Everytown Research & Policy. https://everytownresearch.org/rankings/law/minimum-age- to-purchase/
****Minimum Age to Purchase. (2022, September 26). Everytown Research & Policy. https://everytownresearch.org/rankings/law/minimum-age- to-purchase/