Northstar Conference Objectives
The objectives of the Northstar Public Health Conference on Gun Violence are to:
- Establish an annual regional public health conference in Minnesota that focuses on gun violence prevention in both rural and urban settings and among diverse populations.
- Provide a forum for local, regional and national leaders in gun violence prevention to exchange knowledge, insights and experiences.
- Provide a stimulating environment for the Nobel Peace Prize Forum higher-level dialogues on gun violence prevention in Minnesota.
- Highlight and provide a catalyst for new peer-reviewed gun violence prevention research.
- Provide professionals from the fields of law enforcement, public health, health care, mental health, social work, community organizing, public policy, education, and communities of faith with pertinent knowledge and usable tools to implement in their individual work, organizations, and communities.
- Promote collaborative connections among attendees.
- Encourage open discussion about difficult issues that impact gun violence in a safe environment.
- Raise awareness among Minnesota media and the general population that gun violence is a public health problem for which solutions do exist.